Skip to main content

The long journey to choosing an engine

Today I have uploaded the project to github. We are going to use Unity3D 5, which is kinda weird choice for an open source game. Why do we took this decision? And I say we because the team also took part in the process.

When I started (or restarted the project), I wanted to use a complete game engine. After 4 years of developing with Ogre, I was totally sure that I had broke with rendering engines. The obvious choices, in the end of 2014, were Urho3D and Godot, I already had discarded Torque3D.

Urho3D seemed good after a few weeks of testing. It had an editor, not integrated into the game, but quite good. Development was active, renderer, even when based on Dx 9/OpenGL 2.1, was good. It lacked important stuff, like terrain editor, but I was sure that it would come at some point. But a couple of months later, well into the development process, I noticed that Urho lacked some sort of integration. A few things didnt work so tight as I expected.

It was time to look at Godot. But the missing feature were here obvious: Godot lacks terrain support and its 3D renderer is obsolete. A nice editor and the one click ddeployment feature cant compensate that. Also, the main effort now seems to be oriented towards 2D rendering.

Unreal Engine was discarded, as it explicitly forbids using it for GPLed titles.

Then I made a quick test with Unity3D 5 and my modellers were very insistent that it was the engine we needed. Also, considering our long term goal (create our own commercial game), we thought that investing time in Unity would pay better result in the future.

Thats why we decided to use Unity.


Popular posts from this blog

Unity3d isometric camera tutorial

I had pending this since a month ago, so Im forcing myself to post it today. The goal is to provide a fully functional isometric like system that you can use with few or none modifications in your own game. So, lets get started.

Start Unity3d and in your scene, add an empty GameObject, we will call it target. Create a camera object and drag it to target to make it child. The result looks like this:

Now select Camera and set the values to this:

For a true isometric like feeling, ortho projection is essential. You could use perspective, but it is not the same. Play with Size to suit your needs (we will be using this later, when implementing zoom).

Now, lets create an script named CameraController, or whatever, and drag it to target GameObject. Lets implement scrolling, the easier part: go to Update() and add the following code:

if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.W)) {
            dir = UP;
        } else if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.S)) {
            dir = DOWN;
        } else if (Input.GetKeyD…

TPS with free look tutorial, version 2 (and bugs)

After working a bit to improve the third person camera system I mentioned a couple of days ago, I found a few problems that I could fix, and other I cant. Here is the updated code:

public class PlayerControl : MonoBehaviour {

    public GameObject pivot;
    Animator anim;
    int direction = 0;
    int FORWARD  = 1;
    int BACKWARD = 2;
    int LEFT = 3;
    int RIGHT = 4;

    // Use this for initialization
    void Start () {
        //cam = gameObject.GetComponent<Camera> ();
        //Cursor.visible = false;
        //Cursor.lockState = CursorLockMode.Locked;
        anim = gameObject.GetComponent<Animator> ();

    // Update is called once per frame
    void Update () {
        Vector3 rot;

        if (Input.GetKeyDown (KeyCode.W)) {
            direction = FORWARD;
        } else if (Input.GetKeyDown (KeyCode.S)) {
            //go back
            direction = BACKWARD;
        } else if (Input.GetKeyDown (KeyCode.A)) {
            direction = LEFT;
        } …

Tutorial: building a modular character

Building character models with body parts have been an obsession for me in the last weeks. I have googled, asked, googled, and asked again, played with Unity3d editor, tested code, and so on. You can see the result of my work in the previous post. First of all, I have to say that what I achieved is mostly derived from this thread and the sample posted there. My code is a copy&paste of that sample. Also, you can find a more extense solution in this forum thread.

First, lets start with the model, which obviously, is divided in the required sections. Lets say we have head, torso and legs. Each part must be exported to a separate fbx file, but it must include the skeleton. Then, export the skeleton without geometry to another fbx.

Im going to assume that you want to instantiate all components, and even player, at runtime, from a  C# script (no Unity editor involved, except for creating prefab an position marker), so, we will place the sections, the skeleton and everything…