Skip to main content

Fallout 4 is probably the worst plot ever written by Bethesda

Ok, I have been playing Fallout 4 every day for more than a week now, until I got underrail and left it abandoned. So, I guess I have enough evidence to say that this is the worst story created by Bethesda. Fallout 3 was simple and stupid, but man...

Lets start with Minutemen. Almost in the beginning of the game, you find this people with this great idea of helping the Commonwealth. An hour later, you find out that the quests are a sort of procedurally generated, which is not bad per se. What is bad, is that the universe of possible quests is very small. So, very soon you end up saving the same settlement two of three times, from the same threats, until you decide to forget about Minutemen quests.

But hey, there is this Brotherhood guy that appears right when you are getting bored of saving villagers. I have played with the Brotherhood in every Fallout game, so I expected this time not to be different. Guess what: it was different. From the first words of Danse, I thought that this Brotherhood perhaps wasnt a good choice. They were a bunch of bigots, so I decided to delay joining them for a while.  In the end, joining them wasnt a rewarding experience, except for the armor I got from them. In FO4, BOS is no longer a group devoted to preserve knowledge, but a horde of canned intolerants devoted to erradicate synths and everything slightly apart from human.

So, after all this disappointing encounters, the only natural choice seems to be The Railroad. The Institute comes too late, with a weird and diffuse agenda and a selective blindness for the free will of their creations. And then, the only way the writers find to make the plot interesting, is to put you, the player, against your own son. Or you can also align with the Institute, whatever its plans are.

Together with a diluted RPG system, Fallout 4 has achieved to bore me a couple of times, but has also taught me a few lessons as game designer. Lessons I hope I can assimilate to avoid making the same mistakes in my upcoming project.

Well, now we have to wait until Deus Ex: Mankind divided and Cyberpunk 2077 (does somebody knows something about it?) to play a decent RPG. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unity3d isometric camera tutorial

I had pending this since a month ago, so Im forcing myself to post it today. The goal is to provide a fully functional isometric like system that you can use with few or none modifications in your own game. So, lets get started. Start Unity3d and in your scene, add an empty GameObject, we will call it target . Create a camera object and drag it to target to make it child. The result looks like this: Now select Camera and set the values to this: For a true isometric like feeling, ortho projection is essential. You could use perspective, but it is not the same. Play with Size to suit your needs (we will be using this later, when implementing zoom). Now, lets create an script named CameraController, or whatever, and drag it to target GameObject. Lets implement scrolling, the easier part: go to Update() and add the following code: if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.W)) {             dir = UP;         } else if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.S)) {             dir = DOWN;         } e

Isometric camera with Godot

Took some effort and some of my sleep hours, but at last, I made it. Here is my first videotutorial: implementing an isometric camera in 3D, with Godot. Useful if you want to emulate the look of old classics like Fallout 2, but with some extra features. Considering that my voice is not so nice, and my english pronounciation is even worse, I also added texts to help you underestand what Im saying. You will also notice some background noise, but cant do anything to solve that. Any suggestion is welcome. Expect another tutorial soon.... or sor tof. This time, will be about my AI system.

Testing animation retargeting in Godot 4

 We have finished the project and it is time tostart a new one. This time, I have convinced the team to work on a combat  prototype and try Godot 4. After a month, Im quite pleased with the progress. Specially, we have applied animation retargeting, which is a new feature in Godot 4. In previous project, our main artist devised a clever way to reuse animations, but now we have a native solution. Our first attemp didnt worked, but I found that remapping the armature starting by the feet solved the problem. Weird, isnt it? By the way, you can see the prototype here . WE are keeping it public to let people learn from our mistakes. And, if you need some animation retargeting tutorial, this is the guide we used: