Skip to main content

Developing games in Cuba, my experience

 It has been a long time since my last post. I have no time to write, specially not in english, and to make things worse, I found some sort of bug in Blogger. But you are reading this to know about my successful career as game developer, not to hear me complain about bugs.

In 2021 I released my first game. It was a remake of an old cuban game: The Labyrinth of Knowledge. You can get it free on itch.io, but I would appreciate if you leave a tip for a new keyboard and mouse. The future looked bright: there were changes and finally we could create software startups, including the ones dedicated exclusively to games. Two of those startups released successful titles for Android and made money of it. The first dev group, ConWiro, developed a payment gateway that used SMS, but was the second studio, Nameless, who made much more profit of it, with the first cuban made multiplayer game. Even the government showed some interest in pushing game development.

In march of this year I got my papers: I was the creator of a new bussiness oriented to game development. The process also required to create a fiscal bank account, that took a nice bite of my savings: 3000 pesos, frozen there forever and Wakanda. I had my own game group! I could make myself a card with "CEO" on it! Our second project was in late stage, two moths away from the first beta, after a very rough year of work (that year of work... is another story and will be told other time). Then things started to look not so bright. 

Remember the SMS based payment gateway? Well, the ISP takes 30% of the sales. Another company, Desoft, which has the only IP in the country allowed to access the SMS server, took another 30% (and guess what, they dont even developed the code to handle the payments via SMS). ConWiro needed a little percent too, so lets say that the game developer ends up receiving just a 30$ of the money paid by the player. From your cut, you have to pay a 15% monthly tax, and another 50% at the end of the year.

So, most of the money was lost in the process, but microtransactions were the way (my first game barely sold 60 copies, even when the demo reached 3000 downloads). I had to personally chase somebody to develop a Godot plugin to access the SMS gateway during a month. There was only month left for the first closed beta and I wanted to release it with microtransactions to test the process. And I got the plugin... just to find that I had no use for it. 

ConWiro had to close the SMS gateway, because the operational costs were too high. Im not going to talk about the hidden, weird fees charged by our ISP (ETECSA) and Desoft. Maybe you would ask why are SMS payments so important for us. Nobody uses that in the modern world! Are no other choices, like using a back acount, like civilized people? 

Ok, first let me remind you that it is Cuba we are talking about. Bank accounts and debit cards are something new. Payment gateways using bank accounts are... not in early stage, they are in primitive stage. ETECSA has an app (widely adopted and used, I was one of the first user, I bet) that lets you manage and pay for services using USSD codes, but its API is undocumented and they simply take months to answer your request to access it. Enzona is a more modern, web oriented service, a real payment gateway, but its API is poorly designed: you can only use it from a web page, not directly from a mobile/desktop application. And it fails, recently they were 20 days out of service. Not their fault, of course, they depend on ETECSA datacenter and it failed.

We released the closed beta, the public beta, and the final version in a couple of months, but still we dont foresee any significant profit. Im sorry, but I lied to you. Im not having a very successful career as CEO of a game studio. Actually, the other two serious groups have announced that they will not work anymore for the cuban market and neither will I. Seems that we had an very bad case of idealism, but we are cured now. 

In a future post I will talk about how difficult will be for us to work for the global market.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unity3d isometric camera tutorial

I had pending this since a month ago, so Im forcing myself to post it today. The goal is to provide a fully functional isometric like system that you can use with few or none modifications in your own game. So, lets get started. Start Unity3d and in your scene, add an empty GameObject, we will call it target . Create a camera object and drag it to target to make it child. The result looks like this: Now select Camera and set the values to this: For a true isometric like feeling, ortho projection is essential. You could use perspective, but it is not the same. Play with Size to suit your needs (we will be using this later, when implementing zoom). Now, lets create an script named CameraController, or whatever, and drag it to target GameObject. Lets implement scrolling, the easier part: go to Update() and add the following code: if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.W)) {             dir = UP;         } else if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.S)) {             dir = DOWN;         } e

Isometric camera with Godot

Took some effort and some of my sleep hours, but at last, I made it. Here is my first videotutorial: implementing an isometric camera in 3D, with Godot. Useful if you want to emulate the look of old classics like Fallout 2, but with some extra features. Considering that my voice is not so nice, and my english pronounciation is even worse, I also added texts to help you underestand what Im saying. You will also notice some background noise, but cant do anything to solve that. Any suggestion is welcome. Expect another tutorial soon.... or sor tof. This time, will be about my AI system.

Testing animation retargeting in Godot 4

 We have finished the project and it is time tostart a new one. This time, I have convinced the team to work on a combat  prototype and try Godot 4. After a month, Im quite pleased with the progress. Specially, we have applied animation retargeting, which is a new feature in Godot 4. In previous project, our main artist devised a clever way to reuse animations, but now we have a native solution. Our first attemp didnt worked, but I found that remapping the armature starting by the feet solved the problem. Weird, isnt it? By the way, you can see the prototype here . WE are keeping it public to let people learn from our mistakes. And, if you need some animation retargeting tutorial, this is the guide we used: